Art Escape Goa -The Live Music Project -Jazz in India, Gatecrash and Media Partner GoaStreets Present: GIJLF EDITION 3
In its third glorious year, GIJLF has a line-up of talented musicians and promises to enthrall audiences. GIJLF is a contemporary jazz festival that focuses on bringing new sounds and advances in the world of jazz through brilliant performances by maestros of jazz from India and abroad (Switzerland, Australia, Wales-UK, Morocco, France, Luxembourg, Italy, Ireland & Lithuania).
The display of Jazz at this festival isn’t purely a traditional depiction but ranges from modern and funky to progressive and sexy. Traditional jazz lovers are a niche group but it is important that jazz is kept alive by engaging newer audiences. The bands showcased at GIJLF are cutting edgeand aren’t afraid tobreak barriers. This is the jazz movement trend across the world and the The Live Music Project is thrilled to bring it to India and to Goa.
The event takes place at aspectacular venue – Stone Water Eco Resort, Bogmalo – and will also feature film screenings, an art exhibition,a special festival foodand a vinyl ambulance.
MUSIC LINE UP
Bands & Sub Genres
- VIVIENNE POCHA ENSEMBLE (India) JAZZ – FUNK – R&B –SOUL
Vivienne Pocha with her soulful vocals and a powerful blues live performance.
- MEZCAL JAZZ UNIT (France) JAZZ – MODERN – ORIENT
Mezcal Jazz Unit’s music is defined by the Mediterranean temperament of its musicians, the reminiscences of traditional melodiesand an unabashed attraction for the Orient.
- ALDOC (Ireland) JAZZ –AFRO –HIP HOP – BLUE GRASS
With Doherty’s freewheeling flute and chant-like vocals, heavy grooves, spooky brass solos, tremolo affected electric guitars and lonely banjo lines, ALDOC can only be described as a revolution in Irish music.
- DAINIUS PULAUSKAS GROUP (Lithuania) JAZZ –MODERN –FUSION
The DainiusPulauskas Group is one of the most influential and active Lithuanian jazz units, and can be called the ambassadors of Lithuanian jazz.
- KHAMIRA (Wales, UK / India) JAZZ –FOLK –FUSION
Khamira is a unique new collaboration between Welsh and Indian musicians. Jazz mixes with Indian classical and Welsh folk music to create a heady brew of dynamic music.
- ALEX STUART QUINTET (Australia) JAZZ – POST ROCK – BALKAN
Jury Prize and Révélation of Jazz à Juan, the Australian guitarist releases his third album featuring African and South American grooves, rock and post rock, and Indian and Balkan influences.
- THE JASS B’STARDS (India) JAZZ – PUNK – GROOVE -PSYCHEDELIC
The JassB’stardsarean exciting three piece jazz groove band with a Latin twist. They focus on stage shows (using unusual instrumentation including a transistor radio, theremin and electric sitar).
- NIK BÄRTSCH’S RONIN (Switzerland)JAZZ –ZEN-FUNK
One of most ground-breaking musician in today’s European jazz scene, Zurich composer and pianist NikBärtsch offers his ritual groove music, calling it “zen-funk”.
- KEKKO FORNARELLI TRIO (Italy) JAZZ – NEW AGE – ELECTRO
KekkoFornarelli gives birth to a colourful harmony made of electronic components and acoustic instruments, with neoclassical lyricism, created by this Italian talent.
- JEFF HERR CORPORATION (Luxembourg) JAZZ – IMPROVISATION
The JEFF HERR CORPORATION is a skilled trio, which relies on the compositional abilities of each member.
- GABACHO MAROCONNECTION (Morocco)JAZZ –AFRO – GNAWA – ORIENTAL
‘A combination of Western, Arabic and African influences,the GabachoMaro Connection have developed their own unique flair that appeals to all generations.
- FILMS – 3 to 6pm
The film ‘Nachom-iaKumpasar’, a tribute to Goan music and musicians will be screened for the first time (with subtitles) for all 3 days of the festival. The film is a musical narration of an emotional rollercoaster love story of a brilliant young singer.
- JAZZ ARCHIVES
Rareand unseen footage of JAZZ IN INDIA from the Archives and Research Centre for Ethnomusicology (ARCE). The American Institute of Indian Studies will also be screened at the venue.
- ART FOR A CAUSE EXHIBITION
Inspire Trust brought together 15 Artists from around the world at its first International Artist Residency 2015. It was a 15-day program at DudhsagarSpa Resort that aimed at enhancing the thought process of the artists through a shared forum between the local talent and visiting artists. The work of the participating artists from Hungary, France,Japan,Germany,Poland,Iraq,India and Goa will be on display. All funds gathered from the sale of the art will be used to support art awareness and education of underprivileged kids through workshops.
- FOOD DESIGN STUDIO
“As a chef I believe that food is art. It is combination of colors, textures, aromas &flavors.For me the plate acts as a canvas, the ingredients are a form of color, the cooking my art work and the restaurant my gallery” says Chef Avinash Martins,the creative genius behind the food showcase at the festival. He adds, “The Jazz festival is a celebration of music, art, culture and food. The common element in all is creativity. So let us all get together to celebrate this by allowing me to lead you through scrumptious culinary journey.”Chef Avinash has put together creative flavors from across the world including India and our own Goa.Besides his food, the chef will also showcase a few of his paintings at his food design studio.
- GOA UNDERGROUND TRIBE (GUT)
GUT is based in the Land of Sunshine and brings anshnoogiewoogie Underground Music and Art experience to people all over the World!!Vinyl Ambulance is an initiative of GUT and will be showcased onNovember 29.Via their vintage wheels,they bring VINYL DJs/live acts that have been pounding the planet’s back-alleys! Loaded with the sweetest hand crafted sound system and a swinging DJ console equipped with Allen & Heath + Technics.
DETAILS OF THE FESTIVAL:
- GATES OPEN AT 2.00 PM
- FILM SCREENING-3pm to 6pm
- CONCERT starts 6.45pm onwards
November 27, Friday
- 7.00 PM: VIVIENNE POCHA ENSEMBLE (India) JAZZ – FUNK – R&B –SOUL
- 8.15 PM: MEZCAL JAZZ UNIT (France) JAZZ – MODERN – ORIENT
- 9.30 PM: ALDOC (Ireland) JAZZ –AFRO –HIP HOP – BLUE GRASS
November 28, Saturday
- 7.00 PM: DAINIUS PULAUSKAS GROUP (Lithuania) JAZZ –MODERN –FUSION
- 8.15 PM: KHAMIRA (Wales, UK / India) JAZZ –FOLK –FUSION
- 9.30 PM: ALEX STUART QUINTET (Australia) JAZZ – POST ROCK – BALKAN
10.45 PM: THE JASS B’STARDS (India) JAZZ – PUNK – GROOVE –PSYCHEDELIC
November 29, Sunday
- 7.00 PM: NIK BÄRTSCH’S RONIN (Switzerland) )JAZZ –ZEN-FUNK
- 8.15 PM: KEKKO FORNARELLI TRIO (Italy) JAZZ – NEW AGE – ELECTRO
- 9.30 PM: JEFF HERR CORPORATION (Luxembourg) JAZZ – IMPROVISATION
- 10.45 PM: GABACHO MAROCONNECTION (Morocco)JAZZ –AFRO – GNAWA – ORIENTAL
For more updates, please visit:
Contacts:Vinesh 9323590051 / Darryl 9881568756 / Emma 9833718642